Grand Prairie’s Jeremy Seiter nets hat-trick as Knights defeat Bishop Lynch, 6-3

by dentonramsey

Grand Prairie’s Jeremy Seiter nets hat-trick as Knights defeat Bishop Lynch, 6-3


By Denton Ramsey / Sports Editor


Grand Prairie’s Jeremy Seiter scored three goals, netting his first hat-trick of the season, en route to a 6-3 Knights victory over Bishop Lynch on Thursday, Nov. 16.

After taking an early 1-0 lead over Lynch, the DeSoto/Grand Prairie Knights squandered that lead in the second period as the game was deadlocked, 3-3, after two periods of play.

But the Knights came alive in the third, netting three goals in the final frame to secure a 6-3 road victory.

“The game started out with our team controlling the tempo pretty much,” Knights Head Coach Kenny Tyler said. “We started with a new goalie, Matt Padgett, to give him a try and he played well most of the game.”

At the 7:40 mark in the first period, the Knights took a 1-0 lead after Seiter took a beautiful assist from teammates Michael Dean and Wesley Rea and pushed the puck past Lynch goalie David Kendall.

And after one period of play, the score remained the same.

“In the first period, shots were dominated by DeSoto/Grand Prairie,” Tyler said.

At the 1:55 mark in the second period, the Knights pushed their lead to 2-0 after Seiter scored his second goal of the night, this time on a power-play with assists from Paul Watkins and Brandon Christianson.

And midway through the second period, the Knights scored again to notch a three-goal lead.

At the 8:19 mark in the second, Rea scored a short-handed goal on assists from Dean and Seiter to give the Knights a 3-0 lead.

But the Knights three-goal lead proved to be short-lived as Bishop Lynch managed to score three goals on goalie Matthew Padgett to close out the second period in a 3-3 tie.

“The meltdown came at 10:09 in the second period,” Tyler said. “Bishop Lynch scored on a nice power play goal. One minute later, they put one more goal in and then they finished the second period with a third goal.”

At the 10:09 mark in the second period, Chris White scored a power-play goal after taking a pass from teammates Hassan Makke and Harrison DeLong, notching the first goal for Lynch to make the score 3-1.

Less than one minute later, at the 11:07 mark in the period, BJ Kellagher punched the puck past Padgett on assists from Josh Pickett and Nick Whittlesey to inch one goal closer at 3-2.

And shortly thereafter, Bishop Lynch dead-locked the game at 3-3 at the 11:53 mark in the second period when Ian Kelso netted his first goal of the night on assists from Tanner Andregg and Chris Thomas.

As the horn sounded to end the second period, the score remained tied at 3-3.

But the third period belonged to the Knights, as the road team scored a trio of goals to ensure a victory.

“The [game-tying] goals changed the tempo but the Knights did not lose their focus, and at the start of the third period, Carlos Delafuente scored, assisted by Bryan Zientek, to make it 4-3,” Tyler said.

Just 25 seconds into the third period, the Knights regained the lead at 4-3 after Bryan Zientek passed the puck to Carlos Delafuente, who netted his first goal of the evening to give his team a one-goal lead.

At the 4:43 mark in the third and final period, the Knights pushed their lead to 5-3 on a power-play goal by Watkins on assists from Zientek and Seiter.

The final nail was hammered into the coffin when Seiter scored his third goal of the night to net his first hat-trick of the season.

At the 11:11 mark in the final frame, Seiter scored an unassisted empty-net goal to secure a Knights victory, 6-3.

“Jeremy ended the game with a loft into an open net, to make it 6-3,” Tyler said. “Our goalie played well for first game, but the defense is still rushing too much. It was a good game overall.”

On the night, the Knights defense limited Bishop Lynch to just 11 shots on goal, as DeSoto/Grand Prairie managed to fire away 33 shots at Kendall.

The Knights next game will be at home on Tuesday, Nov. 21 as DeSoto/Grand Prairie hosts Arlington Martin.

The puck is set to drop at 6:30 p.m. at the Duncanville Dr. Pepper StarCenter.


Sports Editor Denton Ramsey can be reached via e-mail at