Knights drop 4-2 decision against Rockwall

by dentonramsey

Knights drop 4-2 decision against Rockwall


By Denton Ramsey / Sports Editor


The DeSoto/Grand Prairie Knights hockey team dropped a 4-2 decision to Rockwall on Thursday night, Nov. 9.

Early on, Rockwall jumped out to a 1-0 lead on an unassisted goal by Nick Lazorko at the 4:00 mark in the first period.

But solid goaltending and defense kept the score at 1-0 after one period of action.

“For the game, we had a full roster,” Knights Head Coach Kenny Tyler said. “The only player we were missing was Bryan Zientek, who was serving a game misconduct.  At the start of the game, we started okay… we had a good first period.”

The Knights came alive in the second period, scoring two goals and holding their opponent scoreless.

Multiple penalties on both teams, five on DeSoto/Grand Prairie and four on Rockwall, also made for an interesting second period.

At the 0:15 mark in the second period, Jeremy Seiter passed the puck to Carlos Delafuente, who zipped the puck past Rockwall goalie Ryan Jesz to tie the game, 1-1.

And just a short time later, at the 2:32 mark in the second period, Wesley Rea and Michael Dean connected with Juan Barrientos to give the Knights their first lead, 2-1.

“[In the second period], the team started lightening up on their skating because Rockwall had such a small roster,” Tyler said. “We barely made it through the second period.  At that point we were ahead 2-1. We took a ton of penalties.”

But in the third and final period, the Knights let one slip away.

Three unanswered goals by Rockwall, beginning with a short-handed goal to tie the game at 2-2, lead to a disappointing finish for the Knights.

At the 2:16 mark in the third period, while DeSoto/Grand Prairie was on a power play, David Keane pushed the puck past Knights goalie Chris Guzman to deadlock the game, 2-2.

And midway through the final frame, Rockwall regained a one-goal advantage when Lazorko connected with Chris Thirion at the 8:21 mark in the third period for the go-ahead goal, 3-2.

At the 9:49 mark, Rockwall erased any chance of a Knights comeback when Keane connected with Jory Tedder for the final goal of the night to make the score 4-2.

“In the third period, we got too fancy on a power play, and they scored a short-handed goal to tie it,” Tyler said. “The Knights defense had several breakdowns throughout the game as we were constantly chasing players back toward our net. Rockwall scored on a give-away by Sawyer Stinchfield, in our defensive zone, which capped off any chance of a Knights’ win as the time was running out.”

With the loss, the Knights move to 4-1-1 on the season (9 points) and drop into a fourth-place tie in the Varsity Silver Division.

“If we continue to [turn the puck over] and have breakdowns on defense, it will be a long season,” Tyler said.

The Knights return to the ice on Thursday, Nov. 16 against Bishop Lynch in Frisco at 6:30 p.m.


Sports Editor Denton Ramsey can be reached via e-mail at