Warriors drop district debut to No. 3 Trinity, 38-21

by dentonramsey

Warriors drop district debut to No. 3 Trinity, 38-21

By Denton Ramsey / Sports Editor

This time around, there would be no comeback victory.

But the Warriors still made things exciting until the final buzzer as South Grand Prairie fell to the third-ranked team in the state and defending district champions, the Trinity Trojans, 38-21 on Friday night at the Gopher-Warrior Bowl.

“We battled,” head coach David Fisher said. “They [The Trojans] are such a good football team and it’s hard to match-up with them, but our kids battled well. We left a few points out there, but it was a valiant effort and our younger kids did a lot of growing up – it was a good experience.”

The Trojans led 38-7 midway through the fourth quarter before the Warriors made a mad rush at a comeback, scoring 14 points in a matter of seconds before recovering their second consecutive onside kick.

But the Trojans defense shutdown Denzel Dewberry and company as they tried for a final drive before falling by 17.

With the loss, the Warriors move to 3-1 overall and 0-1 in district.

And tomorrow, the local rivalry between the Gophers and the Warriors hits the Bowl, with kickoff slated for 6 p.m.

“It is a rivalry game, but it’s also a district game,” Fisher said. “And if we want to make the playoffs, it’s a must-win district game. We still have six tough games to go and we need to come out and improve on the fundamentals of the game and get to 1-1 in district.”

Trinity, now 4-0 on the season, began the game by successfully driving down the field 80 yards in 11 plays for a 7-0 lead with 6:29 remaining in the opening quarter.

But the Warriors battled back, tying the game at 7-7 with 8:03 left in the first half on a 5-yard run.

Great field position for South Grand Prairie appeared to be daylight for a go-ahead score, but a fumble recovery by the Trojans at the Warriors 29-yard line halted the Warriors from scoring.

And the Trojans made the Warriors pay for giving up the pigskin, driving 71 yards for the go-ahead touchdown to take a 14-7 lead with 2:17 left in the second quarter.

Penalties against the Warriors forced South Grand Prairie to punt on three-and-out as the Trojans took over at their own 41-yard line with 1:29 remaining in the first half.

The good field position for Trinity paid off, as the Trojans nailed a 32-yard field goal to take a 17-7 lead into the half.

After beginning the second half by fumbling the punt return, an awful call on third-and-long prevent the Warriors from getting the ball back as the Trojans were handed a ridiculous first-down at the Warrior 37.

And with 10:16 left in the third quarter, the Trojans found the endzone once again to take a 24-7 lead.

Trinity pushed their lead to 31-7 with 4:55 remaining in the third quarter and the Trojans lead grew to 31 when they scored on a 43-yard run with 9:42 remaining in the game.

But that’s when the Warriors came to life, successfully driving 74 yards down the field and into the endzone in 11 plays, scoring on a two-point conversion to make the score 38-15 with 5:59 left in the fourth quarter.

And just nine seconds later, the Warriors found paydirt again after recovering an onside kick and scoring on a one-play 51-yard pass from Dewberry to Trae Johnson to cut into the Trojans lead, 38-21, after failing on the two-point conversion.

The Warriors recovered a second consecutive onside kick on the ensuing kickoff, as Carson Wiggs’ leg proved to be vital in both field goals and kickoffs.

But Trinity finally got their hands on Dewberry on the Warriors next drive as the South Grand Prairie quarterback was sacked and fumbled the pigskin away to the Trojans with 4:40 remaining in the game.

The Warriors tried to punch the ball into the endzone one final time, but their drive was cut short at the Trinity 2-yard line as time expired.