Blue Sox drop fifth in a row

by dentonramsey

Blue Sox drop fifth in a row


The Plano Blue Sox fell 5-2 to the Weatherford Wranglers on Thursday night at Graham Field, pushing their latest losing streak to five straight.

Plano’s Eric Walz took the mound for the Blue Sox, struggling early as he surrendered three runs (all earned) on five hits through the first two innings of play.

After a two-run first inning by the Wranglers, the Blue Sox answered with a run of their own in the bottom of the first inning.

Skyler Stromsmoe began the frame with a walk before successfully stealing second base with Ben Maitland at the plate for Plano.

And Maitland came through with a solid fielders’ choice, safely moving Stromsmoe from second to third base.

After Mitchell Putman took a base on balls to put Blue Sox on the corners, Drew Bias came to the plate for Plano and laid down a beautiful sacrifice bunt, safely plating Stromsmoe to cut into the Wranglers lead at 2-1.

However, Weatherford tacked on another run in the top of the second inning to regain their two-run lead over the Blue Sox at 3-1.

Although the Blue Sox already had a run on the board, they were unable to pick up their first hit of the game until the bottom of the third inning on a single to short leftfield by Maitland.

On a side-note, Weatherford’s starting catcher, Ben Petralli, went down with an injury in the bottom of the fourth inning as the Wranglers opted for backup catcher Todd Gilfillan to come in and finish the game behind home plate.

After control issues plagued both starting pitchers, the game’s later innings became a pitching duel as both team’s mound leaders began setting down batters with ease.

Although the Blue Sox threatened in the bottom of the fifth, Weatherford’s starting pitcher forced Maitland to hit into an inning-ending double play after Plano began the frame with two runners on base and just one out.

Through five innings of play, Weatherford still held onto a two-run lead at 3-1 with the Blue Sox sitting on one run with just one hit as Plano’s office failed to find a clutch hit with runners on base.


Although the Blue Sox had managed just one hit through the first five innings, there were multiple opportunities for Plano to plate a run with runners on base. Through the game’s first five frames, Weatherford surrendered three walks and hit a batter to the Blue Sox’ stagnant offense.

And things wouldn’t get much better for the Blue Sox, who managed a mere two runs on just two hits in a three-run loss to the Wranglers.

Weatherford tacked on their final two runs of the game in the top of the seventh inning when Wrangler first baseman Robbie Winn drove in two on an RBI single to push the lead to four runs, 5-1.

Plano finally picked up their second hit, leading to their second run, of the game in the bottom of the ninth inning.

After Trey Sperring successfully reached first base on an error, Jeff Boes smoked a double off the leftfield wall to drive in a run and cut the deficit to three runs at 5-2.

But Plano was unable to rally as Weatherford set down the final two Blue Sox batters for a 5-2 Wranglers victory.

The Blue Sox return to the diamond tonight at 7:35 p.m. as they host the Denton Outlaws at Graham Field.

Live broadcasts of Plano’s home games can be heard via the internet at