Alpine 7-on-7 football team moves to 10-1, maintains focus on state championship

by dentonramsey

Alpine 7-on-7 football team moves to 10-1, maintains focus on state championship

By Denton Ramsey / Staff Writer


The Alpine Bucks 7-on-7 football team kept their winning ways last Thursday evening at Buck Stadium, easily defeating Fort Stockton, Marfa and Sierra Blanca to improve their record to 10-1 on the season.

In the first game for the varsity squad, posting a perfect 3-0 record on the day, the Bucks knocked off Fort Stockton 52-35.

With 7:00 remaining in the first half of play, Alpine took a 20-7 lead before jumping out to a 34-14 lead at halftime.

The Bucks’ Wes O’Bryant led the team at the half with three touchdowns and two successful two-point conversions.

Meanwhile, the Alpine J.V. team, going 2-0 on the day, held a 27-13 lead over Marfa at the half as they went on to defeat the Shorthorns 47-39 with Ryan Perales leading the Bucks with three touchdowns.

With 15:30 left in the varsity game, Fort Stockton cut into the Bucks lead to bring the score to 34-28.

However, with 9:45 remaining in the game, the Bucks increased their lead to 12 after a touchdown and an unsuccessful two-point conversion as Alpine led 40-28.

The Bucks crossed the endzone again with 6:00 left in the game to bring their lead to a commanding 18 points at 46-28 before Fort Stockton answered with 4:45 remaining to cut the lead to 46-35.

Alpine punched it in one last time with 2:00 left in the game to increase their lead to 52-35 as they went on to win by 17 points.

In game two for the varsity Bucks, Alpine defeated Marfa 48-20. The Bucks found the endzone early, jumping out to an 8-0 lead with 17:20 left in the first half of action.

At the 14:00 mark, Alpine found an opening again as they increased their lead to 14-0.

However, Marfa answered with a touchdown of their own with 11:45 remaining in the first half. After failing on the extra-point attempt, the score stood at 14-6.

But with 9:40 left in the first half of play, Alpine hit paydirt again to bring their lead to 20-6. And four minutes later, Merced Muniz connected for another touchdown as the Bucks pushed the score to 28-6.

Marfa found the endzone one last time before halftime at the 3:07 mark to bring the score to 28-14 at the half.

Alpine went on to score two quick touchdowns to begin the second half of action as the Bucks brought their lead to 40-14 with 12:30 remaining in the game.

After Marfa scored one final time and the Bucks answered back, Alpine improved their record to a perfect 2-0 on the day as they won 48-20 before a crowd of approximately 120 fans.

In J.V. action, the Bucks picked up their second win of the day in a shortened game, defeating Marfa once again by a score of 33-18.

The Alpine varsity squad finished off the day with a 53-46 win over Sierra Blanca.

Bucks Head Coach Mike Sanchez was proud of his teams’ performance as Alpine moves to 10-1 on the season with high hopes still set on the state title.

The championship tournament will be held July 15-16 at Texas A&M University in College Station.

Alpine’s 7-on-7 squad will hit the field once again next Thursday, July 7, as the Bucks travel to Fort Stockton for tournament action.

Game time is set for approximately 6 p.m.


Comments? Email