Tigers thrash Raiders, 62-0

by dentonramsey

Tigers thrash Raiders, 62-0


By 6:15 p.m., the Demopolis crowd was already eagerly awaiting the kickoff between the Tigers and the Raiders of Greensboro.

As the rain fell in a light mist, the Tigers were preparing, both mentally and physically, for their big game on homecoming night.

Huddled together in the team locker room before kickoff, head coach Doug Goodwin inspired his troops with some simple words of wisdom.

“We need to take care of business early,” coach Goodwin said.

And the Tigers did just that.

‘Friday Night Lights’ may have made its debut on the big screen tonight, but on this Friday night, the Tigers knocked the lights out of the Raiders.


With the Demopolis players jumping and hollering before kickoff, the signs in the locker room said it all.

Attitude is everything.

Play like a champion today – Expect to win.

And that they did.

It took only 1:30 for the Tigers to get points up on the scoreboard.

On the third play of the first possession for the Raiders, Dontrell Miller picked off a pass and returned it for the touchdown and a 7-0 lead.

On the following kickoff, Greensboro fumbled the ball to give Demopolis possession at the 26-yard line.

And with 8:41 remaining in the first quarter, Devin Goodwin connected with Bart Pettus to put the Tigers on top, 14-0.

“I think we came out here and did what we needed to do to win,” Goodwin said. “We wanted to put on a good show for our fans for homecoming tonight, and we came out here and got another shutout.”

Demopolis added another touchdown with 39 seconds left in the first quarter when Rod [Rock] Jones ran in nine yards for the touchdown to give the Tigers a 21-0 lead at the end of the first quarter.

The Tigers struck again when Chris Wasson caught a six-yard touchdown pass from Goodwin with 3:48 left in the first half.

After a missed extra point, Demopolis led 27-0.

And once again, after the Tigers kicked off to the Raiders and fumbled the ball, Demopolis took over at the 28-yard line when Miller pounced on the loose ball.

With 2:34 remaining in the first half, Jacob Smelly took the ball in four yards for the touchdown to give the Tigers a 34-0 lead.

But that wasn’t enough for Demopolis.

After the Raiders were forced to punt the ball with under a minute to play in the first half, Chad Schroeder (who was playing with a hurt shoulder) returned the ball 37 yards to give the Tigers a 1st and 10 at the 2-yard line.

“It [my shoulder] feels a lot better than last week,” Schroeder said. “I feel like I can run a little better and hit a little better. But the win felt good tonight. We needed that.”

Goodwin then connected with Miller for a touchdown with 28 seconds left in the first half to give Demopolis a 41-0 lead heading into halftime.

“We tackled well,” defensive coordinator Freddy Lawrence said. “Last week, we missed a bunch of open-field tackles, and tonight everybody got to the football. That’s the bottom line.”

During halftime in the locker room, it was all business.

As players sat getting taped up, some chatting with coaches about plays while others sat with headphones on, one thing was certain:

These boys came out focused and ready to play.

“It was a good win for us for homecoming,” secondary coach Tony Pittman said. “We just wanted to come out and perform and work on both offense and defense. If we come out and start well, the defense always sets the tone for us and the offense comes along to do their thing. I really think defense set the tone for us tonight.”

Another interesting fact is that Vincent Jackson made a birthday promise to a young boy that he would get him an interception in the game.

And Jackson made good on his word in the second half of play.

To begin the second half of play, the Tigers came out and were forced to make their first punt of the game.

But the Raiders were unable to capitalize on anything and punted the ball back to the Tigers.

After a fumble by Demopolis, Greensboro took over at the 29-yard line with a chance to finally score.

But Jackson would make sure that would not happen.

On the third play of the drive for the Raiders, Jackson picked off a pass to give the Tigers possession at the five-yard line.

And Demopolis drove the ball 95 yards for a touchdown when Goodwin connected with Wasson for a 55-yard touchdown pass with 1:06 left in the third quarter to increase the Tiger lead to 48-0.

Schroeder once again made the Raiders pay for punting the ball to him when he returned it all the way to the 22-yard line to setup another touchdown for Demopolis.

On the first play, Rock Jones ran in for the touchdown with 10:54 remaining in the game to give the Tigers a 55-0 lead.

And the thrashing didn’t end there.

Calvin Bryant added insult to injury when he took the ball 65 yards for another Tiger touchdown with 2:05 left in the game.

That gave Demopolis a 62-0 lead.

And as the game clock finally expired, the Tigers walked away with another victory and another shutout to pick up win number six on the season.

The Tigers hit the road next Friday to play the Jemison Panthers at 7:30 p.m.